• Advertisement

old briggs engine, carb inquiry

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: old briggs engine, carb inquiry

Postby Deere2me » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:47 am

sgull wrote:
Bluemower, I'm rather unclear on the use/placement of the Teflon washer you mention. Where/how specifically would this be installed in respect to the lower nozzle seat? I did come across the washers available along with the 39143 repair kit (one source here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Briggs-Stra ... 3397d5be6f but as mentioned I can't quite picture the installation/application. Thanks

The washer slips over the nozzle end and seals the "seat" where it meets the body. If ya overtighten it, it has a tendency to kinda squish out. I would try the lapping first.
http://ppeten.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=836

I quote:
"Don't pay any attention to old Dummy."- okie
"pompous a**hole"- steinuit13
"I agree, Deere is a negative around here to say the least"-mek a nik
Nice, huh?
Deere2me
Forum Pro

Postby sgull » Wed Nov 05, 2014 11:56 am

Deere2me wrote:The washer slips over the nozzle end and seals the "seat" where it meets the body. If ya overtighten it, it has a tendency to kinda squish out. I would try the lapping first.

I see. Yeah I was planning on doing the lapping. So the suggestion would be to try the lapping first and not even worry about using the Telfon washer unless that seems necessary afterward (because of leakage/seepage still happening despite the lapping treatment)? Thanks...
sgull
Forum Regular

Postby Deere2me » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:04 pm

sgull wrote:
Deere2me wrote:The washer slips over the nozzle end and seals the "seat" where it meets the body. If ya overtighten it, it has a tendency to kinda squish out. I would try the lapping first.

I see. Yeah I was planning on doing the lapping. So the suggestion would be to try the lapping first and not even worry about using the Telfon washer unless that seems necessary afterward (because of leakage/seepage still happening despite the lapping treatment)? Thanks...

I would, then if ya still have leakage, no big deal to R&R the nozzle/emulsion tube and slip on the washer.

Some just use the washer and don't bother with the lapping.
http://ppeten.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=836

I quote:
"Don't pay any attention to old Dummy."- okie
"pompous a**hole"- steinuit13
"I agree, Deere is a negative around here to say the least"-mek a nik
Nice, huh?
Deere2me
Forum Pro

Postby sgull » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:20 pm

Deere2me wrote:I would, then if ya still have leakage, no big deal to R&R the nozzle/emulsion tube and slip on the washer. Some just use the washer and don't bother with the lapping.

Okay, thanks Deere2me. How does one notice any apparent leakage if/when it happens there anyway? Any visible external leakage, or erratic/rough/improper operation of the carb?
sgull
Forum Regular

Postby bgsengine » Wed Nov 05, 2014 12:54 pm

sgull wrote:
Deere2me wrote:I would, then if ya still have leakage, no big deal to R&R the nozzle/emulsion tube and slip on the washer. Some just use the washer and don't bother with the lapping.

Okay, thanks Deere2me. How does one notice any apparent leakage if/when it happens there anyway? Any visible external leakage, or erratic/rough/improper operation of the carb?

Fuel leaks into the lower carb air intake and starts dripping out the drain filter on the bottom of carb (if it is still even there) normally a minor seepage won't particularly affect operation as you are able to adjust fuel mixture to compensate.. usually only noticed as fuel dripping out the bottom of carb air intake - often mis-diagnosed as a float/ needle/seat problem.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby sgull » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:49 pm

bgsengine wrote:Fuel leaks into the lower carb air intake and starts dripping out the drain filter on the bottom of carb (if it is still even there) normally a minor seepage won't particularly affect operation as you are able to adjust fuel mixture to compensate.. usually only noticed as fuel dripping out the bottom of carb air intake - often mis-diagnosed as a float/ needle/seat problem.

Okay thanks bgsengine for the helpful reply. By the way, that drain filter at the bottom of the carb air intake was pretty much deteriorated and I was gonna take it out, and I wasn't careful enough and that little cross-shaped tang that holds it in went shooting out and I could never find anywhere. So for one thing I'm wondering how important that little filter might be to replace (along with the tang now), and also if it happens to be typically included in the rebuild kit for these carbs (the little filter anyway, not the tang).
sgull
Forum Regular

Postby bgsengine » Wed Nov 05, 2014 3:18 pm

sgull wrote: So for one thing I'm wondering how important that little filter might be
VERY important if you want to keep dirt out of the engine. With it gone, running it with an air filter is pretty much pointless. :)
to replace (along with the tang now),
Not difficult *IF* you can find the parts
and also if it happens to be typically included in the rebuild kit for these carbs (the little filter anyway, not the tang).
Sometimes you may find the felt filter in the carb kit, sometimes not. I haven't seen one in years, and no idea if the parts are still available any more. Worst case, you can plug it off with a welch plug or seal it with a bolt and nut.. the purpose is for draining any moisture or excess fuel that can collect in the air intake and get sucked in on the next start up.. But if it isn't there, you're sucking in dirty air past the air filter.
How poor are they who have not patience. What wound did ever heal, but by degrees? - Iago (Othello Act II, Scene 3)
bgsengine
Briggs MST
Briggs MST

Postby sgull » Wed Nov 05, 2014 4:28 pm

OK. Thanks once again bgsengine for those last helpful responses.
sgull
Forum Regular

Postby sgull » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:36 pm

As compared to a photo included online at a site describing disassembly of this carb, it looks as if there might be a brass insert part missing on my carb. Here's the online photo, where you can see the brass insert I'm referring to in the hole (opening) at the bottom of the photo:

Mine has no such brass insert in that opening. Strange why/how that became missing. It's just not there. What is its purpose and any chance I could get by without it? Or if somehow it could be a replaceable part if I could possibly get my hands on another such brass part for that? Also, should that passage down within that hole be open enough for me to blow some air through? Because I can't seem to; it seems blocked/clogged, can't blow air through.

Here's my upper carb body where you can see the brass part seems to be missing:

Last edited by sgull on Thu Nov 06, 2014 10:59 am, edited 4 times in total.
sgull
Forum Regular

Postby bobodu » Wed Nov 05, 2014 7:51 pm

You can use the edit function at Photobucket to shrink the pics. I do mine a 550 pixels.
"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

PreviousNext

Return to Technical Discussion Forum