• Advertisement

old briggs engine, carb inquiry

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

old briggs engine, carb inquiry

Postby sgull » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:48 pm

I acquired an old late 50's early 60's WS Darley pump with a Briggs and Stratton model 23AFB engine, type 703527. It has a medium 2-piece Flo-Jet carburetor just like this one shown at this website page: http://outdoorpowerinfo.com/repairs/briggs_medium_two_piece.asp

When I was checking with the Briggs part supplier they said that particular carb model is now number 293950, and that parts are not separately available from them anymore for that carb.
I came across the following info (website page next) http://www.perr.com/tip9.html in regard to the carb, where it is mentioned that a needle seat repair kit is available, in addition a “normal carburetor rebuild kit”. It is this normal carburetor rebuild kit I would be interested in obtaining, and as well a detailed parts diagram/list, but I so far have been unsuccessful in finding such. Any help/comments in that regard would be appreciated.
sgull
Forum Regular

Advertisement

Re: old briggs engine, carb inquiry

Postby bobodu » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:52 am

"Give me a fast ship, for I intend to go into harm's way."
bobodu
Forum Moderator
Forum Moderator

Postby HondaG100 » Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:15 am

Can't really help you but congrats on the 23AFB. I have one on a Devilbiss compressor. I rarely use it because I don't need the hurricane of air it can produce. I believe I have some extra but probably used carb parts if you need something that is NLA.
HondaG100
Guide

Postby bluemower » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:44 am

this has the medium two piece flo jet carburetor. the original carb kit was changed to 394693 which fits several engine models. Some of the parts such as the long nozzle have been eliminated from current kits and must be ordered separately.

sometimes older carburetors developed leak problems at the lower nozzle seat due to corrosion. The 1996 briggs update detailed a repair. using a spare nozzle, the threaded area was ground off. Valve grinding compound was applied to the seat area and the nozzle inserted into the lower carburetor body. Using a screwdriver, the nozzle was turned in an attempt to polish the corroded area. After cleaning up, a new nozzle was installed with a Teflon washer borrowed from a 391413 repair kit.

individual parts for these are becoming NLA from Briggs. Some of the older dealers probably still carry parts.
bluemower
Guide

Postby KE4AVB » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:14 am

It might be worth mentioning that a straight sided flat blade should used to provide full contact with nozzle slotted area. Most flat blade screwdrivers are tapered and need modifying for this purpose.

Also some of the aftermarket carburetor kits has wrongly threaded main mixture nut/bolt. I ran into in the Spring where the carburetor was leaking around this needle assembly and it strips very easily; the Briggs version worked fine as was better threaded.
The truest measure of society is the how it treats its elderly, its pets, and its prisoners.
KE4AVB
Forum Pro

Postby sgull » Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:53 am

Wow, thanks for the helpful replies you guys. I'm new to the forum and this was my first post. I'll take my time looking over those four responses, do some followup and go from there, and post back for sure Really appreciate it.
sgull
Forum Regular

Postby wristpin » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:46 pm

This was posted by the "owner" of the PER forum that preceded this one - it may be of interest.
http://www.perr.com/tip9.html
wristpin
Forum Pro

Postby sgull » Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:17 pm

wristpin wrote:This was posted by the "owner" of the PER forum that preceded this one - it may be of interest.
http://www.perr.com/tip9.html

Perhaps you did not notice but I'd mentioned that particular post/link in my first post this thread too, and you're right I did find that of particular interest. thanks
sgull
Forum Regular

Postby sgull » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:19 pm

Great. Thanks bobudu for tracking that down. The challenge to me was trying to determine where/how to narrow it down among all the different apparent model numbers; rendered it too confusing (for me anyway).
sgull
Forum Regular

Postby sgull » Fri Oct 31, 2014 10:33 pm

bluemower wrote:the original carb kit was changed to 394693 which fits several engine models. Some of the parts such as the long nozzle have been eliminated from current kits and must be ordered separately. sometimes older carburetors developed leak problems at the lower nozzle seat due to corrosion. The 1996 briggs update detailed a repair. using a spare nozzle, the threaded area was ground off. Valve grinding compound was applied to the seat area and the nozzle inserted into the lower carburetor body. Using a screwdriver, the nozzle was turned in an attempt to polish the corroded area. After cleaning up, a new nozzle was installed with a Teflon washer borrowed from a 391413 repair kit.

Thanks bluemower. Obviously the kit as linked in bobudu's reply here does include the "long nozzle" so (if I needed) I wouldn't need to order separately from that particular kit, correct?

Thanks for the explanation/description of the briggs repair you mentioned. Probably would be wise for me to sacrifice my old nozzle and utilize it as a polishing tool because I'd be willing to bet my seat could use the treatment. Then of course also get myself one of them there Teflon washers from the 391413 repair kits to do it up right.
sgull
Forum Regular

Next

Return to Technical Discussion Forum