• Advertisement

Honda HS724 snowblower-high rpm

Use this forum to discuss small engines, and the equipment or machinery that they power. This is the main section for any technical help posts and related questions.

Re: Honda HS724 snowblower-high rpm

Postby borhani » Sun Jan 19, 2014 6:23 pm

Turned out the easiest (and best?) tachometer was as close as my iPhone! The "Engine RPM" app was $8.99, but it really works. Uses phone microphone, Fourier & autocorrelation analysis, and gives a clear & relatively steady display. Unbelievably simple to use, and cheaper than the tachometer I couldn't even find on the Autozone, DAS, or Napa web sites!! ("Strobe Light" app is free, but I couldn't get it to show me a stationary flywheel, even though I knew the approximate RPM. Plus, hard to look at the flywheel while holding the phone and making adjustments!)

I got the high RPM to 3900 +/- 100; low set to ~1500-1550. Could not get it lower (i.e., to 1400), as the throttle plate just would not close any more. I could close it by hand on the carb., and could then adjust the carb. idle set screw to get ~1400. But, by itself, the governor and/or cable/throttle control stop are keeping it from closing completely. Also noticed that the return of the control to idle is slow --- the thing has 3 springs, and it just seems a bit "lazy". Will put some lubricant on it tomorrow and try one last time.

The other thing I notice is that the "detent" stop on the throttle control, at the high end, before it is supposed to close the choke, is just wrong. If I push the throttle control to there, I get about 3500 RPM; I need to push past there, and if I listen (after having adjusted as above) for the highest speed, just before it begins to choke, that's where I get ~3900 RPM. Maybe this combined throttle/choke control is a little to fancy for its own good?

In sum, 1500 - 3900 RPM is pretty good, and I don't want to make the "perfect" be the enemy of the "good"! ;)

Thanks for all your help, guys!
David
borhani

Re: Honda HS724 snowblower-high rpm

Postby StarTech » Sun Jan 19, 2014 7:07 pm

Glad to hear you got straighten out. BTW the 1500-1550 is with the +- 150 rpm so your good to go. Have fun in the snow.
StarTech

Previous

Return to Technical Discussion Forum